I know that Christmas is still far away but I found this bread recipe and I wanted to share it with you. I am sure that you and your kids will love this following recipe:
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 2 raisins
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring
- You will need a large bowl. Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130° in a small saucepan. Add to dry ingredients. You need to beat just until moistened. Beat in the eggs until smooth. Stir the remaining flour in to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into two portions, one slightly larger than the other.
- Shape the larger portion into an elongated triangle with rounded corners for Santa’s head and hat.
- Divide the smaller portion in two halves. Shape and flatten one half into a beard. Using scissors or a pizza cutter, cut into strips to within 1 in. of top. Position on Santa’s face. Now twist and curl strips if desired.
- Use the remaining dough for the mustache, nose, hat pom-pom and brim. Shape a portion of dough into a mustache. Flatten and cut the ends into small strips with scissors. Place above beard. Place a small ball above mustache for nose. Fold the tip of hat over and add another ball for pom-pom. Roll out a narrow piece of dough to create a hat brim; position it under the hat.
- With a scissors, cut two slits for the eyes and after that insert raisins into the slits. In separate small bowls, beat each egg yolk. Add red food coloring to one yolk; carefully brush over the hat, the nose and the cheeks. Brush the plain yolk over the remaining dough.
- Cover loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown.